2021/2022 School Year
Our Second English Community of Practice Meeting will take place on Wednesday 24th November at 7 p.m. Please click here to register: https://www.ecwexford.ie/cpd-courses/webinars/2302-english-community-of-practice-approaches-to-film-in-first-year.html
Our English Community of Practice will return in autumn 2021. It will take place on Wednesday 29th September at 7pm. Please click here to register: https://www.ecwexford.ie/cpd-courses/webinars/2226-english-community-of-practice.html
“The final Community of Practice for Post-Primary Teachers of English, for this school year, will take place on Wednesday 5 May at 7pm. The workshop will last for approximately 1 hour.”
This workshop will focus on how to develop effective visual strategies, in English, in the design of teaching resources through dual coding practice. This session is relevant to English teachers at both Junior Cycle and Senior Cycle. It will be a practical workshop showing teachers the steps involved in maximising the potential of their resources for their own benefit and for the benefit of their students.
The session will be hosted by Joe Rolston, with guest presenter Clare Madden.
About the guest presenter: Clare Madden teaches English and History in Glanmire Community College in Cork. She is an Associate with the JCT English team and is currently working on a new Junior Cycle English textbook for Edco, which is due for release in 2022. She can be found on Twitter: @MaddenClare.
About the host: Joe Rolston is an English and Religious Education teacher and Assistant Principal 1 in Presentation Secondary School, Wexford and is co-ordinator of the Co. Wexford Education Centre English Community of Practice. He is also an Associate with the JCT English team and is an experienced written examiner with the S. E. C. He can be found on Twitter: @Joe_Rolston.
Comprehension - how to prepare for all three sections; the general understanding, the delivery, timing, volume of information required.
· Special attention to the style question. Key vocabulary required, how to recognise style elements and how they improve the text given.
· Recognising and writing in different language genres; Language of Argument, Narrative Writing, Persuasive Writing, Aesthetic writing etc.
· Functional Writing- exposure to quality texts.
· Guidelines for the two year preparation for this essay.
· A closer examination of the personal essay.
· Ingredients for a quality short story.
· What does a descriptive essay look like?
· Preparing a quality speech.