This is a five night course and will take place over the following dates:
21 February, 28 February, 07 March, 14 March, 21 March.
The webinar series will cover the following areas:
1) Characteristics of autism; Strengths and Challenges
2) Sensory processing: Pathway to Sensory Inclusion
3) Communication: Social Communication and Interaction
4) Stressful Behaviour
5) Safe Social Story Creation.
Learning outcomes for the 5 week course:
1) Characteristics of autism; Strengths and challenges: The participants will be introduced to the characteristic strengths and needs of autistic learners, the main psychological theories of autism and the different perspectives of intellectual rather than intuitive learners. This seminar will set the foundation blocks for further, deeper understanding to come.
2) Sensory processing: Pathway to Sensory Inclusion: The participants will follow a 4 step process from Awareness to Understanding to application and Inclusion of Sensory needs of autistic children. It is hoped that the participants will gain a further understanding of the Sensory Differences involved with Neurodiversity.
3) Communication: Social Communication and Interaction: The participants will take a deep look at the areas of Communication and interaction by looking at developmental levels, play skills and social interaction demands. There is a focus on shared responsibility for social communication.
4) Stressful behaviour: A deep look at behaviours that may occur due to stress and distress. The participants will look at the low arousal approach to stressful behaviours, the communication underlying stressors and strategies for helping students achieve a sense of regulation.
5) Safe Social Story Creation. The participants will be brought through the stages of writing Social Narratives for children that are Safe, Accurate and Meaningful(SEAM) focussing on information that informs children of what they are expected to do rather than not do.
Please ensure you register for each evening separately.
|Course Start Date / Time||07-03-2023 5:00 pm|
|Course End Date / Time||07-03-2023 6:00 pm|
|Cut off date||07-03-2023 5:00 pm|
The ESCI (Education Support Centres Ireland website lists all available courses and events from Education Support Centres nationwide.
Milehouse Road, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford
Tel: (053) 92 39100